Is it really that hard to have the GUI libs in question just give you
some pixels in memory or an opengl context?  Then you could use your
own highly optimized plot drawing routines instead of relying on the
GUI lib to do this.  I figured this kind of thing would be unbeatable
for performance, unless the library ties your hands.

I had considered this.  The biggest problem is font rendering.

on Windows, function CreateDIBSection can be used to create block of memory directly accessible by application, while it can be used for GDI functions, including text rendering. I use it in some D code, and it is quite easier to use than it may look from the docs.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd183494%28VS.85%29.aspx