On 04/10/2011 06:29 PM, Don wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 04/09/2011 09:27 PM, dsimcha wrote:
On 04/09/2011 08:31 PM, dsimcha wrote:
I think the article's title is missing a comma btw.

Andrei

Where?

Where could it ever be? After "parallelism".

Andrei

Actually, I specifically remember learning about this grammar rule in
middle school. When listing stuff, the comma before the "and" is
optional. Putting it and not putting it are both correct.

I see. I go by "Bugs in Writing" (awesome book)

Ugh. I have a profound hatred for that book. Rule of thumb: if any style
guide warns agains split infinitives, burn it.

You may want to reconsider. This is one book that most everybody who is in the writing business in any capacity agrees with: my editor, heavyweight technical writers, my advisor and a few other professors...

Besides you can't discount the book on account of one item you disagree with. The book has hundreds of items, and it is near inevitable one will find an issue a couple of them.

Andrei