On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:51:18 -0400, Robert Clipsham <rob...@octarineparrot.com> wrote:

On 18/05/2011 16:20, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Printer support is woefully missing. My 2-year old printer still isn't
supported on Linux.

Now this is beyond me. Everyone I've talked to says printer support in Linux sucks, but I've been through several printers, and Linux has been the only operating system I've used that's had no problems with it. Regardless of the distro, it picks up a local or network printer and allows me to print without any configuration whatsoever - apparently it doesn't 'just work' for anyone else though. In OS X and Windows I have to manually find network printers and find drivers online, only the latter for local printers. Even then they don't always work.

At work, since I've been here (almost 2 years), my laptop always cuts off about 1/8 of an inch from the left of the page. Until the latest upgrade to ubuntu 11, I would have to adjust the "image quality" to 1200 dpi every time I printed (even from the same application) or else any graphics on a page would be super-grainy like I printed it in 1995.

I'm sure it works great in some cases. Just not in general. And mostly not for me :(

-Steve