On 20.08.2011 19:45, dsimcha wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:50 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
Masahiro Nakagawa seems to be working on msgpack:
https://bitbucket.org/repeatedly/msgpack4d/

Yeah, this does look quite useful. I tried it a few weeks ago and ran
into a couple showstopper bugs. I filed them and he fixed them, but I
never got around to trying it again.

I actually think that since both are very commonly needed things and
satisfy completely different niches, Orange and msgpack4d might both
eventually have a rightful place in Phobos. Orange would be recommended
when portability and serializing as many types as possible are
important, and msgpack4d would be recommended when speed and space
efficiency are the primary concerns.

Is RIFF considered a good format? I've ran into it when porting C
code, it seems it's also used by Google and probably other companies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Interchange_File_Format

 From reading the Wikipedia article (I knew nothing about RIFF before
this discussion) it sounds like it's in a valley in between two utility
peaks. XML provides maximum portability. msgpack provides maximum
efficiency. RIFF doesn't really provide either all that well.

Agreed. I've worked a lot with RIFF in the past, and it only specifies a high level structure by having sections with a known size. It doesn't give much over a plain binary file.