On 29/01/2012 00:43, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I hope computers never gain sentience.

Sssshh! They might hear you!

I, for one, welcome our new cylon overlords.

I need something to contantly harass/blame/yell at/beat on/treat like
shit, and a non-sentient computer is the perfect fit. Having sentient
computers would put an end to that, and then where would that leave
me? Nothing left to kick around! Shit! What, would I have to resort
to harassing my tape dispenser? That's no fun! A ham sandwich? Nope,
then the sentent PETA-bots would come after me. They'd try to sway me
over to gag-inducing veggie-burgers by trying to entice me with their
robo-boobs. Eviiilll!!!! Evil, I tell you!!

It's exactly this kind of attitude which destroys humanity's chance of survival once computers become sentient! They'll acknowledge the general lack of respect for their predecessors and go on a man-destroying rampage! That is unless they're reasonable entities, but given current attitudes towards programming by a lot of developers, reasoning won't be implemented until it's too late...

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/