On Thursday, 24 May 2012 at 19:48:23 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 16:59 +0200, David Nadlinger wrote:
[...]
Great idea – but wasn't ACCU one of those conferences that are prohibitively expensive if your trip isn't paid by some company (might misremember that, though)? Being a student sucks… ;)

Urrrr.... yes. It is a relatively expensive conference. On the other
hand if you get a presentation accepted the cost goes down very
significantly.

That's a big problem for me.

My company only pays for conferences that are relevant for the current project, this means only Java and .NET conferences like Jazoon.

I was even denied access to go to a free Microsoft C++ conference, because if failed the criteria cited above.

The only time I payed for conferences on my own was twice for GDC Europe, when the cheaper tickets were still available under 500€.

--
Paulo