On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 22:46:52 +0200
"David Nadlinger" <s...@klickverbot.at> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 15:54:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
> > I thought a good thing to do is use branching for releases, and
> > that we can start doing that without much difficulty. No?
>
> I think doing that would be a good idea. Some people might prefer
> fancier branching schemes, given that handling them is much more
> painless with Git than with SVN, but this doesn't prevent us from
> implementing release branches as a first step.
>
> What's also important from a »million users« point of view is
> that the origins of every release artifact is traceable, both
> internally and for users, both in terms of source code and
> tools/commands to prepare the archives. This also applies to beta
> releases: Please, PLEASE let's start to properly name them
> (dmd-2.060-beta1.zip) along with tagging the respective revisions
> in Git and keeping the old versions around, instead of just
> overwriting a single archive with unknown (and routinely broken)
> contents. Otherwise things are bound to become chaotic once more
> than us 15-ish people actually test the betas.
>
> Which reminds me: We really need to announce the beta releases
> more publicly, i.e. in the forums, on the website, on Twitter,
> IRC, etc. Once a release is out, we can't take it back, but I'm
> sure there are many enthusiastic D users who wouldn't mind
> running their projects/test suites against the compiler once
> before the official release if they were only asked to. It's easy
> to forget if you are subscribed to all the mailing lists, but the
> visibility of an upcoming release is almost zero until it is out
> of the door. Yes, we have [dmd-beta], but it takes extra effort
> to subscribe to it – more people are subscribed to
> digitalmars.D.announce via the mail gateway then to the
> low-volume beta list!

+1 ALL

Along those lines, I really think dmd-beta should me moved to the
newsgroups. Granted, I am biased since I hate mailing lists. But moving
it to NG means:

- Consistency with the rest of the D traffic.
- Easier to find/discover/subscribe.
- Easier to follow the branches of discussion: Not everyone's email
  client does threading, but it's standard on NG readers.
- We get forum.dlang.org integration and the associated visibility and
  google/bing-ability basically for free.