On 08/22/2012 05:41 PM, dsimcha wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 August 2012 at 20:04:12 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 August 2012 at 13:15:49 UTC, dsimcha wrote:
Congratulations, Antti-Ville! This project creates a better
implementation of precise GC heap scanning than anything that's been
created so far for D. The goal is to eventually integrate it into
standard D distributions.

Great! I've been pretty much out of touch with the GSoC projects this
summers, as I had a rather intense exam session at university – are
there any progress reports/blog posts with actual numbers in them?

David

Unfortunately not yet. Antti-ville ran into a lot if difficulty getting
things to work and spent the first half of GSoC on an approach that
turned out to be the wrong one in hindsight. His project was originally
supposed to be improving concurrency support in the GC, but when rtinfo
was added to TypeInfo, precise heap scanning seemed like too good an
opportunity to pass up. To do this project he had to learn the D
template system from scratch. Therefore we didn't have the luxury of the
luxury of doing extensive benchmarking and documentation. I plan to work
on that with him before he creates a pull request to integrate his new
and improved GC upstream.

Poolwise bitmap... what an interesting name. I'll look forward to learning about the concepts behind it!