On Thursday, 23 August 2012 at 14:38:19 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 23-08-2012 15:21, Rory McGuire wrote:
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM, dsimcha <dsim...@yahoo.com
<mailto:dsim...@yahoo.com>> wrote:

Basically, the idea is to store information about what is and isn't a pointer at the pool level instead of at the block level. My
   attempt from a long time ago at precise heap scanning, and
Antti-Ville's first attempt, stored meta-data at the end of every
   allocated block.  This worked well for large arrays, but was
terribly inefficient for smaller allocations and made the GC code
   even messier than it already is.  The overhead was a fixed
(void*).sizeof bits per block. Now, each pool has a bit array that contains one bit for every possible aligned pointer. The overhead is always 1 bit for every (void*).sizeof bytes no matter how large
   or small the block is.

Am I correct in thinking that this is still single threaded stop the world?

Yes, but parallelization of the mark phase is fairly trivial, and something we should probably look into.

Funny coincidence, I've just read an interview from Narihiro Nakamura who is working on parallel marking in Ruby: http://rubysource.com/narihiro-nakamura-rubys-gc-innovator/

BR,
renoX