Am 07.09.2012 01:53, schrieb Sean Kelly:
On Sep 6, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Benjamin Thaut <c...@benjamin-thaut.de> wrote:

Am 06.09.2012 15:30, schrieb ponce:
The problem with intstrumentation is, that I can not recompile
druntime for the MinGW GDC, as this is not possible with the binary
release of MinGW GDC and I did not go thorugh the effort to setup the
whole build.
I'm open to suggestions though how I could profile the GC without
recompiling druntime. If someone else wants to profile this, I can
also provide precompiled versions of both versions.

You don't necessarily need to recompile anything with a sampling
profiler like AMD Code Analyst or Very Sleepy

I just tried profiling it with Very Sleepy but basically it only tells me for
both versions that most of the time is spend in gcx.fullcollect.
Just that the GDC version spends less time in gcx.fullcollect then the DMD
version.

As I can not rebuild druntime with GDC it will be quite hard to get detailed
profiling results.

I'm open for suggestions.

What version flags are set by GDC vs. DMD in your target apps?  The way "stop the
world" is done on Linux vs. Windows is different, for example.

I did build druntime and phobos with -release -noboundscheck -inline -O for DMD. For MinGW GDC I just used whatever version of druntime and phobos came precompiled with it, so I can't tell you which flags have been used to compile that. But I can tell you that cygwin is not required to run or compile, so I think its not using any posix stuff.

I'm going to upload a zip-package with the source for the GC version soon, but I have to deal with some licence stuff first.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut