On Thursday, 20 December 2012 at 05:29:46 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Vote up!

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/155ivw/three_optimization_tips_for_c_video/

Andrei

I think the most interesting thing from that talk is when you said that Facebook's back end code is spending 15% of its time converting ints to strings.

I know you are looking at these small functions as simple examples of the optimisation tips you are giving, but I hope this isn't the kinds of optimisations you are doing at the Facebook. The problem isn't that the conversion is slow, the problem is that you are converting at all. Don't use text based formats for performance sensitive data!

Of course, maybe the 15% claim was pure exaggeration. I really hope that's the case.