On Friday, 24 May 2013 at 19:44:19 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, May 24, 2013 20:30:54 Juan Manuel Cabo wrote:
I'd like to know if there is interest in a precise garbage
collector.

There is interest in it, and Rainer Schütze did a talk on it at DConf. At the current pace (assuming that Andrei actually posts one on Monday even though it's a federal holiday in the US), it'll be posted on June 3rd (and if he skips Monday, then it'll probably be June 5th). And actually, the precise GC changes stand a much better chance of making it into druntime in the short
term than any concurrency changes do.

- Jonathan M Davis

That's very promising. The lack of precise garbage collection and the unclear story with regards to programming sans-GC (maybe it's clear to someone, but not to me) is far more of a "deal breaker" for me than the lack of non-nullable pointers. I hope that you're right and that this gets sorted out soon.

-- Brian