On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:48:52 +0100
"Regan Heath" <re...@netmail.co.nz> wrote:

> I use Notepad++ now and have used TextPad in the past.  But, those
> are just text editors with syntax highlighting (fairly flexibly and
> simply customisable highlighting BTW).
>
> What are the basic features you would require of a development
> environment, I am thinking of features which go beyond the basic
> concept of a text editor, such as:
>
> - The concept of a 'project' or some other collection of source
> files which can be loaded/displayed in some fashion to make it easier
> to find/select/edit individual files
>
> - The ability to hook in 'tools' to key presses like "compile"
> executing "dmd ..." or similar.

I've been using Programmer's Notepad 2 (for *all* my development for
the past few years), which is *mostly* a syntax highlighting
editor, but also has a concept of projects, configurable tools, and
"click an error to jump to it's line in the source". And I've never had
it crash or get wonky, or slowdown, or stall, or use a lot of resources,
ever.

(It also supports ctags, although I've never used it.)