On 2013-06-23 23:02, bearophile wrote:

Instead of:
extern (Objective-C)

Is it better to use a naming more D-idiomatic?

extern (Objective_C)

As Simen said, we already have extern (C++). But I can absolutely change this if people wants to.

Regarding this syntax:

void insertItem(ObjcObject object, NSInteger value)
[insertItemWithObjectValue:atIndex:];

Is it possible and good to replace it with some UDA?

We could use an attribute. But I don't think it would be possible to use an UDA. Currently the compiler doesn't know anything about a particular UDA, all UDA's are treated the same. It it's either a built in attribute or an UDA. Doing something in between would be a lot harder.

It seems contain some different things/syntax. I don't know how much
Walter&Co will appreciate it.

I would say that it's very little new syntax, surprisingly. But semantically there's a lot of new stuff. But the core things are just the same as with extern (C), making D ABI compatible with another language, Objective-C. I think that this is mostly is a non-breaking change. All new keywords are prefix with two underscores, which is reserved by the compiler. A lot of stuff only apply for classes/methods declared as extern (Objective-C).

* extern (Objective-C) - I wouldn't really consider this new syntax

* [foo:bar:] - New syntax. Does not have to use this exact syntax but the functionality it provides is essential.

* Constructors in interfaces - Not really a new syntax. Just allows an existing syntax to be used in a new place.

* Foo.class - I guess this technically is new syntax. The only thing making this new syntax is the use of keyword. I we really don't want this we could rename it to __class or similar.

* __classext - Not implement yet, so that's up for discussion

* String literals - No new syntax. Just an implicit conversion added

* BOOL __selector(NSString) - New syntax. Kind of essential to have.

* Foo.protocolof - Not really a new syntax either. I don't think this is as essential as the other features.

* @IBOutlet and @IBAction - Not implemented. This could possibly be implemented as dummy UDA's.

* Blocks - Not implemented. I'm wondering if we could use the delegate keyword for this. If a delegate is marked as extern (Objective-C) it's a block. Or that might perhaps be confusing.

--
/Jacob Carlborg