On Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 01:25:42 UTC, Bill Baxter wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Joakim <joa...@airpost.net> wrote:
This talk prominently mentioned scaling to a million users and being
professional: going commercial is the only way to get there.

IDEs are something you can have a freemium model for. Core languages are not these days. If you have to pay to get the optimized version of the language there are just too many other places to look that don't charge. You want the best version of the language to be in everyone's hands... Hard to make much money selling things to developers.
I agree that there is a lot of competition for programming languages. However, Visual Studio brought in $400 million in extensions alone a couple years back:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/archive/2011/04/12/happy-1st-birthday-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Microsoft doesn't break out numbers for Visual Studio itself, but it might be a billion+ dollars a year, not to mention all the other commercial C++ compilers out there. If the aim is to displace C++ and gain a million users, it is impossible to do so without commercial implementations. All the languages that you are thinking about that do no offer a single commercial implementation- remember, even Perl and Python have commercial options, eg ActiveState- have almost no usage compared to C++. It is true that there are large companies like Apple or Sun/Oracle that give away a lot of tooling for free, but D doesn't have such corporate backing.

It is amazing how far D has gotten with no business model: money certainly isn't everything. But it is probably impossible to get to a million users or offer professionalism without commercial implementations.

In any case, the fact that the D front-end is under the Artistic license and most of the rest of the code is released under similarly liberal licensing means that someone can do this on their own, without any other permission from the community, and I expect that if D is successful, someone will.

I'm simply suggesting that the original developers jump-start that process by doing it themselves, in the hybrid form I've suggested, rather than potentially getting cut out of the decision-making process when somebody else does it.