On Tuesday, 2 July 2013 at 05:21:35 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Monday, 1 July 2013 at 21:29:21 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
On Monday, 1 July 2013 at 17:45:59 UTC, Joakim wrote:
I wouldn't call closing source that they legally allowed to be closed antisocial. I'd call their contradictory, angry response to what their license permits antisocial. :)

Just because you're doing something legal doesn't mean you're not being antisocial.
Read my previous post. Of course it's possible for a license to technically allow something but for the authors to disapprove of it, not that its antisocial to simply do something they disapprove of. But, as I said earlier, the BSD crowd does not publicly broadcast that they disapprove of closing source. In fact, they will occasionally link to press releases about contributions back from corporations who closed the source.

For people using the BSD license to then get mad when yet another person comes along to close source is the only "antisocial" behavior I'm seeing here. It'd be one thing if they publicly said that while the BSD license allows closing source, they're against it. Feel free to provide such a public statement, you won't find it. It's only after you talk to them privately about closing source that you realize how many of them are against it.

As I've said repeatedly, I don't much care that their behavior is so "antisocial," :) as long as its legal to close source. But it is pretty funny to cast that tag on somebody else, who is simply doing what their license allows and what their press releases trumpet.

It's a pretty psychopathic attitude to conflate legality and morality, it's effectively saying "I have the moral right to do whatever I can get away with"
On the contrary, it's a pretty psychopathic attitude to make such claims about morality when

1. nobody was talking about morality

2. the BSD crowd doesn't publicly talk about their problems with closing source either, whether they think it's immoral or antisocial or whatever.

This is all a bit moot as I was making a general point, not specifically related to BSD. However, in their case, I think it is perfectly fine that some don't like closed source personally, but as a group they decide to endorse it. A group where everyone is forced to agree on everything isn't an organisation, it's a cult.

I think what I'm really trying to say is this:

A license is a description of what you will *allow*, not what you *want*. I personally like to take in to account what people *want* me to do, not just what they will *allow* me to do.