On 16/08/2013 17:26, Russel Winder wrote:
On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 14:19 +0100, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
[…]
If you add the update site for the new Eclipse release (for example
http://download.eclipse.org/releases/kepler for Kepler) to your current
installation, and run the "Check for Updates" it should update Eclipse
and retain all the extra plugins you have installed. (it should update
all Eclipse projects that are part of the Kepler release, basically
nearly all projects that hosted at Eclipse.org)

Having backed everything up (which means creating about 6 replicas for
me), I took the plunge and s/4.2/4.3/ && s/juno/kepler/ for all my
update sites and updated. It appears to have done the needful. Thanks
for this, it has saved many hours of swearing.

Cool. It would have been amateurish of Eclipse to not have this funcionality, in one way or another.

It's a bit annoying that this isn't done automatically in some way, yes.
And also annoying that the update site for new releases is not easily
found on the Eclipse website either.

"Bit annoying" amounts to a mega-understatement :-)

Hum, I guess the annoyance is proportional to the amount of extra plugins you have. Personally I usually only have 1 or 2, the rest comes bundled with Eclipse, but I can definitely see that a lot of users could have a lot more extra plug-ins.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer