On Tuesday, 8 October 2013 at 01:38:09 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Lisp is practically the definition of language minimalism, AIUI. But I'd maybe replace Rust/Python with JavaScript. JavaScript is extremely simple. (Which is a large part of what makes using it such a pain, but I
digress.)

To clarify, I'm thinking of Common Lisp, which is definitely NOT a minimalist language.

http://gotlisp.com/
http://www.dreamsongs.net/Files/clcrit.pdf

Before C++11 it could even be possible to say that CL was almost as large as C++ in its feature set. Scheme is the minimalist Lisp; its spec is only 50 pages long.

As for Javascript, I would say that it's a "simple" language in the sense that it doesn't have a lot of features. However, all the sharp corners of the language create a large amount of complexity, and you have the whole thing with prototypical inheritance... Not to mention the new ES6 features being added.

I haven't really thought about this before, but it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to come up with a contemporary simple language. It seems most modern languages are creeping towards more complexity.