On Wednesday, 22 January 2014 at 13:09:19 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
There is a fairly popular de-facto standard for versioning: semver. Yes, it is incompatible with Debian (and I guess FreeBSD) but you can make
it compatible by just changing one character ("-" -> "~").

Since apparently a version naming scheme is needed, does anyone have a good reason NOT to use a standard that's easily adaptable to several
popular distributions?

As Jacob already said, we will either need to go back to a major of 0, or improve our major number almost everytime there is a release.