On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 18:40:01 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 18:20:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1325905-shared-phobos-library-doesn-t-work-on-all-linux-distributions

Over $2000 in open bounties left:

https://www.bountysource.com/trackers/383571-d-programming-language

Looks like most of these are on compiler bugs.

The only Phobos one is the std.getopt one, however its situation is two abandoned patches and no clear goal as to what constitutes a change worthy of marking the issue as "fixed" and paying out the bounty.

+1

As for the compiler bugs... well, all of these are HARD, at least from the perspective of someone inexperienced with DMD's codebase. If they were easy, they'd have been solved already. DMD is not something you can easily dive into and start moving code around to fix big problems. Speaking from experience, it wasn't once that a 50-line patch would take me days to author and debug. And even if I were to manage through, the chances are high that the patch ends up crap because you need a lot of knowledge about how the compiler works to understand what's a good idea, and what isn't. Not even Kenji's pulls are always approved.

+1

It's hard to dive into dmd's codebase. And probably it takes a lot of time to understand it and to feel confortable enought to try some fixes.

Fixing phobos bugs probably is quite easier for a D user. You just need to know phobos and D to fix a bug and you don't need compiler-related topics. I think that in this case a small reward could fight the lazyness of users.