Walter: "I'll note here that working on stuff that I needed has fared quite a bit better than working on stuff that I was told others need."

This has also been my experience, that you should do what you feel is right, what really makes you happy. Had I heeded all the advice I've been given about how "useful" and "useless" this and that is, I wouldn't be where I am now. Practically everything I went for was considered "useless". I know far too many people who did what was once considered useful (i.e. "where the money is"), and ended up being completely unhappy. There will always be people like the C Guru (he probably wasn't one), but never mind them. Go where your heart says.

I would have liked to have a Java native compiler though, but hey, now we have D.