On 5/8/2014 4:51 PM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
Am 08.05.2014 21:41, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
(...)my trackpad's scrolling gestures
don't even fucking work on it (they work fine on nearly anything else).

To be fair, some time ago I've had the joy to try and properly support
scrolling gestures properly for my UI framework and I wound up naming
the window class of my windows "OperaWindowClass", because that triggers
a special case path in the touchpad driver, which actually sends useful
window messages. I didn't find another way to get useful data. The whole
(Synaptics) driver is obviously nothing but a crapload of special case
junk to make the most popular applications and controls work, because
the people involved obviously don't manage to develop a standard API for
> pixel perfect scrolling.

Hmm, that may be so. I've yet to find one piece of OEM software that isn't (at best) barely-functional garbage. And I just noticed it apparently doesn't work in Tk even with its native controls, bizarrely enough. I honestly never would have even imagined that this stuff would actually manage to fail on native controls. It just seemed obvious that if there was anything *at all* it would work with, it would be native controls. What a mess.

OTOH, as little respect as I have for OEM software, I wouldn't be surprised if their hand is somewhat forced. If they'd done it by providing an API, nobody would bother to use the API. The only right way would be to integrate with existing OS support, but if the OS doesn't already provide that (I wouldn't know whether it does), then nothing's going to get companies like MS, Apple or likely even Canonical to actually give enough of a rat's ass to pull attention away from their own internal politics and agendas. Can't let nicely working user-facing features get in the way of corporate agendas and red tape, can they? ;)