On Friday, 22 August 2014 at 08:23:16 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
On Thursday, 21 August 2014 at 20:49:48 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
It would be nice to have a page to link to when questions come up on Reddit about compatibility with C++.

We have this:
http://dlang.org/cpp_interface.html

From what I understand, it's not complete. For example it says that non-virtual and static member functions cannot be accesses, but that's not the case anymore, AFAIR. And the section about templates also says that there's no support.

That's the problem. We don't want to link to a page that's not accurate when replying to comments on Reddit.

That page should also have information about avoiding the garbage collector and the status of GC removal from the standard library.

This information is currently spread over several articles with a different focus each, and not up to date either:

http://dlang.org/garbage.html
http://wiki.dlang.org/Instantiating_Class_Objects_Elsewhere_Than_the_GC_Heap
http://wiki.dlang.org/Memory_Management
http://wiki.dlang.org/Versus_the_garbage_collector

I don't think we should treat both topics on the same page, they're mostly unrelated (though people coming from C++ might be interested in both, of course).

Maybe it wouldn't have to go on the same page, but at least links to all the information should appear on the same page. The current system with everything scattered here and there makes for a bad first impression.