Dicebot:

All I want is that whatever decision Walter makes to happen sooner than in few years from now.

There are other pending patches, like the support for the nice [$] syntax by Kenji.

"I keep thinking there's gotta be a way to do this without language changes." or "I keep thinking there must be a better way than [$]." are the kind of standard answers Walter gives when he doesn't have time to think about some design (because he has time he usually needs only hours or very few days to implement features, like when he made UDAs or C++ namespeces).

So I guess Walter is currently busy with something (like finishing the 2.066 release and its regressions, or developing Warp for Facebook, or something else), so you have to wait some time for him to come back to the language development side, to receive a good answer and a good solution.

Bye,
bearophile