On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 03:26:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
http://code.dlang.org/packages/sargon

These two modules failed to generate much interest in incorporating them into Phobos, but I'm still rather proud of them :-)

So am I, the halffloat is much faster than any other implementation I've seen. The fast path for the conversion functions involves only a few machine instructions.

I had an extra speedup for it that made it optimal, but it requires a language primitive to dump excess hidden precision. We still need this, it is a fundamental operation (C tries to do it implicitly using "sequence points", but they don't actually work properly).

Here they are:

◦sargon.lz77 - algorithms to compress and expand with LZ77 compression algorithm

◦sargon.halffloat - IEEE 754 half-precision binary floating point format binary16

I'll be adding more in the future.