On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 19:07:09 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2015-04-03 20:06, Atila Neves wrote:

Interesting.

It's true that it's not always faster to compile each module separately, I already knew that. It seems to me, however, that when that's actually the case, the practical difference is negligible. Even if 10x slower, the linker will take longer anyway. Because it'll all still be under a second. That's been my experience anyway. i.e. It's either faster or it
doesn't make much of a difference.

I just tried compiling one of my project. It has a makefile that does separate compilation and a shell script I use for unit testing which compiles everything in one go. The makefile takes 5.3 seconds, does not including linking since it builds a library. The shell script takes 1.3 seconds which include compiling unit tests and linking as well.

change one file and see which one is faster with an incremental build.