On Sunday, 29 November 2015 at 17:23:20 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

Yes, so that will generate sidebands in the frequency spectrum, like FM synthesis, right?

It won't because the vibrato frequency is too low, around 10hz.

So in order to pick up fast vibrato I would assume you would also need to do analysis of the spectrum, or?

Or just be fast to react, else this vibrato amplitude would be smoothed out.

So it is a problem for real time, but in non-real time you can work your way backwards and fill in the missing parts before doing resynthesis? I guess?

In non-realtime, everything is possible, you can have a bigger analysis window and much less problems.
For example, some use dynamic programming for pitch detection.

I've read the Laroche and Dowson paper in detail, and more or less know it by heart now, but maybe you are thinking about some other paper? Their paper was good on the science part, but they leave the artistic engineering part open to the reader... ;-) More insight on the artistic engineering part is most welcome!!

Whatever the method, it's important to spend a lot of time in tuning.