On Wednesday, 30 December 2015 at 00:32:31 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Then why document it?

Just on principle, a documentation tool probably shouldn't be limiting the author's ability to document...

This might just be a bug in dmd btw. Looking at the ddoc spec page, it says "documentation comments not associated with a declaration are ignored", but it doesn't say the declaration must be named.

Perhaps dmd ought to be keeping it but isn't.

If it's for SEO, what SEO scenarios woukd be covered by this feature that can't be done with simple workarounds? -- Andrei

Putting one item per page is far more important than I even realized before getting into this. I was talking to a friend on Sunday night about his early adventures into D. He's managed to convert one of his work scripts that works with Google Docs to D and is working on transitioning a little web form program too.

He consistently found the dlang.org documentation to be undiscoverable and nearly unusable once he did find it. One example he gave as wondering if D had an Array.join function like Javascript.

He searched for "dlang array join" and first, of course, got "did you mean golang?". I like to joke about that being Google's bias, but I betcha it is actually more to do with our poor SEO than any nefarious code on their end.

The top two results he got were:

http://dlang.org/spec/arrays.html

which is no help, it talks about arrays but not the join function

and

http://dlang.org/phobos/std_array.html

which he thought was another false positive because it looked generic again. I told him it *is* the right page... but the wrong section. To actually get to the join function, you need to find it again in the table and hit that second link.

He spent more time than he should have and thought D didn't have an array.join function because the search engine didn't actually return it. It returned two pages that are vaguely related but not specifically what he wanted, and being used to more relevant search requests, wrote off the ddoc as a false positive despite it being the right page!

I asked people in the #d chatroom to repeat this experiment. Nobody even got http://dlang.org/phobos/std_array.html as the top result! Longer time D users did get http://dlang.org/library/std/array/join.html as a top result - good - but nobody actually got the official doc and the ddox only came to those with personalized search that ups the rank score of D related pages.

Contrast that to even the primitive results from my dpldocs.info D-specific search. Look for "array join" and get:

http://dpldocs.info/search/search2?searchTerm=array+join

Whoa, std.array.join is right at the top! And if you click it, you go directly to the relevant function doc.

That's huge.
  • Re: Better docs for D (WIP) Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Better docs for D ... Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Better docs fo... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Better doc... Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Better... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: B... Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... default0 via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... default0 via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... default0 via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Better docs for D ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce