On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 at 09:18:34 UTC, qznc wrote:
Did you also compare to strlen from libc? I'd guess GNU libc uses a lot more tricks like vector instructions.

I did test with the libc strlen, although the D libraries did not have a strlen for dchar or wchar. I'm currently using this for comparison, and playing around with shorter string lengths:

nothrow pure size_t strlen(const(char)* c) {
  if (c is null )
    return 0;
  const(char)* c_save = c;
  while (*c) {
    c++;
  }
  return c - c_save;
}

I'm also trying some tests on a PA device where I have tools to look at cache hits, misses, branches mispredicted. Similar C code.