On Thursday, 7 July 2016 at 20:44:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2016H2 -- Andrei

In the next pass I will integrate Walter_Andrei_Action_List

I'm quite underwhelmed by the Vision Document (VD). I think that is because it is a biyearly VD, and IMO in half a year nothing really visionary can be done for D (because D is already pretty awesome and pushing the envelope takes a lot of time).

Also I think, that you treat the Action_List as competition to the VD. If you don't, even better but consider this:

You create a VD roughly twice a year. You have to compare it with the last VD and see what was done. That is a lot of overhead IMO. Why not create "THE VISION DOCUMENT" and update it when needed. You would be able to add long term visions like "Awesome Container Library using Allocators", then add subpoints to it like "<strikethrough>Create Allocator library</strikethrough>" (strikethrough because it is already done). We could then link the relevant forum threads to the points and subpoints, discussing the work item. People would have a go to place looking for pre-approved work. Leading to no more gatekeeper rejection frustration.

Additionally, I think that the vision for phobos is really weak, no mentions of containers, xml, (si)-units, unit-testing (framework), benchmarking, blas, json ... . I'm not the much in the DMD process, but what about making the frontend a library and being able to select the backend at the time of compilation, as shortly mentioned at DConf. I bet there are a lot of subpoints to that as well.