On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 at 17:05:18 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
This was posted on twitter a while ago:

Comparing compilation time of random code in C++, D, Go, Pascal and Rust

http://imgur.com/a/jQUav
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

From the article:
Surprise: C++ without optimizations is the fastest! A few other surprises: Rust also seems quite competitive here. D starts out comparatively slow."

These benchmarks seem to support the idea that it's not the parsing which is slow, but the code generation phase. If code generation/optimization is the bottleneck, a "ccache-for-D" ("dcache"?) tool might be very beneficial.

(However, then why do C++ standard committee members believe that the replacement of text-based #includes with C++ modules ("import") will speed up the compilation by one order of magnitude?)

Working simultaneously on equally sized C++ projects and D projects, I believe that a "dcache" (using hashes of the AST?) might be usefull. The average project build time in my company is lower for C++ projects than for D projects (we're using "ccache g++ -O3" and "gdc -O3").