On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 19:43:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
The bus terminal had machines that allowed you to buy the ticket with cash or credit card I believe, and the same machines validate your ticket as well.

Last year I used those machines to buy a 3 day pass to the transit system, I think it was lost in the menus under "Tourist Fahrkarte" or something like that. It was well worth it.

Don't worry about timetables on the bus/subway. They run constantly.

Yep going from Tegel is about 2-3€ with the bus/subway.
In case you don't plan to move much around, there's the "4-Fahrten Karte" (four rides):

http://www.s-bahn-berlin.de/aboundtickets/4-fahrten-karte.htm

From Tegel you will need tariff zones "AB" whereas for Schöneberg you will need all three tariff zones "ABC".