On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 21:02:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if what this comes down to is that folks who regularly do GPU programming would think that compute likely referred to the GPU, whereas those who don't wouldn't, but I don't know.

As someone who has done OpenGL, OpenCL and CUDA programming, I find the term "Compute" (especially with a capital) very adequate and related to GPU programming.

- Compute shaders
- OpenCL (Open Computing Language)

Compute APIs are not so much about the GPU that they are about reifying tasks and using multiple levels of memory explicitely (not all memory considered equal), so mentionning "GPU" feels a bit 2010 now that much more devices run OpenCL.