On Friday, 6 October 2017 at 22:16:09 UTC, Peter Jacobs wrote:
Eilmer is a simulation code for studying high-speed compressible flows. Early versions were written in C and then C++. Version 4 is a complete rewrite in D, with Lua for configuration and run-time scripting. Code and documentation may be found at http://cfcfd.mechmining.uq.edu.au/eilmer/

This note is principally to say thank you to all of the people who have made the D programming language and its ecosystem. Being mechanical engineers, we are occasional but serious programmers. For a number of years, we struggled with C++ and a code base of growing complexity. In 2014, we made a serious commitment to reworking the entire code into D. In mid-2017, the new code was complete enough for general use and it is currently being used in a fourth-year course on computational fluid dynamics. The D programming language has enhanced our programming experience and, for that, we are grateful to the many people who have built the foundation upon which we build our flow simulation code.

Cheers,
Peter Jacobs and Rowan Gollan

Congtatulations on a job well done. Your motivation for use of the D Programming Language is the same as ours. I found your paper describing the rewrite [1] very interesting, I think it deserves a more prominent mention here and on the usual news sites.

Bastiaan

[1] http://cfcfd.mechmining.uq.edu.au/eilmer/pdfs/T0316-eilmer-dlang-v2.pdf