On Thursday, 14 December 2017 at 02:57:42 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 at 01:14:26 UTC, Seb wrote:
Also the storage on the machine is limited and we can't drop an unlimited amount of Docker images there.

Shouldn't the overhead from that be fairly manageable? After all, the last layer would only be as large as a single DMD/LDC installation. Surely you would have at least a few gigabytes spare on the server?

 — David

Yes, the docker images aren't too big:

https://hub.docker.com/r/dlangtour/core-exec/tags

FYI for the "import a dub library" feature, we compile a couple of important dub packages and bundle them within the docker image. It's a lot faster this way and allowed to ignore the issues of a common, shared dub package cache folder (parallel writes, growing size, prevent "delete all", ...) for now. Anyhow you are right, spare storage isn't a huge concern, but there isn't much free storage either as it's a rather small instance (I don't even know where the machine is hosted).

As mentioned before, no one has mentioned a use case for which he would need an old, ugly compiler on run.dlang.io. A bit of history: the app emerged from the DLang-Tour backend, where small examples can be executed and for those you can't even choose the compiler. After several problems and outages with DPaste, we added it as a backend to the runnable examples on dlang.org, for which again, you can't choice the compiler. (To be technically correct, on the prerelease pages dmd-nightly is automatically selected.)

It's interesting to see that no one complained about gdc not being there - I thought that this would be the first comment.