On Monday, 4 June 2018 at 18:17:24 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Monday, 4 June 2018 at 09:47:58 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:
Oh look, rumours are confirmed:

https://itsfoss.com/microsoft-github/
MS bought GitHub for $5 billion.

It's official, Nat Friedman, formerly of Xamarin, is the new CEO:

https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/

Also, there's an article from Satya Nadella, current CEO of Microsoft: https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2018/06/04/microsoft-github-empowering-developers/

MS is basically selling a story to Wall Street, "Everything new we tried since Windows and Office has failed abysmally, so we've learned our lesson and will be the business software company from now on," hence buying LinkedIn, pushing Azure, and now buying Github. I don't expect this new management direction to go any better.

Of course MS does, since they spent $5 billion on it. They will try their best to make profit out of it, just like they did with LinkedIn.