On Thursday, 12 July 2018 at 14:49:14 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
AFAICT, the money goes to internal compiler work to add new features to the language in order to appeal to C++ users.

Well, there's also the redesign of the Phobos collections.

I don't know if attracting C++ users is currently a specific goal of the D Foundation, but if it is, I suggest listening to the complaints that C++ users make (about C++, not D), e.g. [1]. Ironically, some of the common complaints, like incomprehensible error messages (for templates, anyway), are also common complaints about D.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/7lvteh/what_are_the_weakest_points_of_c_in_your_opinion/