On 18/07/2018 10:53 PM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 at 03:19:53 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
On 18/07/2018 5:36 AM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
On Saturday, 14 July 2018 at 06:02:37 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
Thanks to the sponsorship of Symmetry Investments, the D Language Foundation is happy to announce the Symmetry Autumn of Code!

We're looking for three university students to hack on D this autumn, from September - January. We're also in search of potential mentors and ideas for student projects. Head to the Symmetry Autumn of Code page for the details.

Spread the word!

https://dlang.org/blog/symmetry-autumn-of-code/

I'd suggest adding the following to SAOC 2018 project proposals :

1/ adding a Go-like http module to the standard library
2/ adding Go-like async IO management to the standard library, i.e. fibers communicating through blocking channels

Until we get an event loop in druntime, both of these options are off the table.

Sad.

Then I'd suggest to add the event loop implementation to SAOC 2018 too, because the absence of a default http module in D's standard library may have very good justifications, but I'm still convinced that it doesn't help when trying to "sell" it to modern developers, considering that nowadays MANY of the applications they will develop in a professional facility will have to integrate http code to access or update the company's data.

I've said, that if we get signatures, I'll build the damn thing myself.
Signatures give a very lightweight vtable implementation while also giving conceptual representation of structs+classes.

Which for an event loop, is a very desirable thing to have. But alas, I'm waiting on my named parameter DIP and seeing where that goes, before continuing work on signatures.