On Tuesday, 31 July 2018 at 13:50:52 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 July 2018 at 13:36:13 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 July 2018 at 03:23:41 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

Second, it is incumbent upon non-student applicants who are currently employed by a software development firm to ensure there are no contractual barriers to participating.

That seems risky - an employer may claim ownership of those contributions.

That's precisely why I mention it. We expect that applicants to take the necessary steps to verify there are no issues *before* applying. If, during the application process, it is discovered that there are potential issues, that's grounds for an automatic rejection. We do have access to a legal team, so there will be a certain level of due diligence where required.

Would it be easier to submit a approved conflict of interest paper with the application?

-Alexander