On Monday, 12 November 2018 at 10:05:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Monday, November 12, 2018 2:45:14 AM MST Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d- announce wrote:
DIP 1015, "Deprecation and removal of implicit conversion from integer and character literals to bool, has been rejected, primarily on the grounds that it is factually incorrect in treating bool as a type distinct from other integral types.

*sigh* Well, I guess that's the core issue right there. A lot of us would strongly disagree with the idea that bool is an integral type and consider code that treats it as such as inviting bugs. We _want_ bool to be considered as being completely distinct from integer types. The fact that you can ever pass 0 or 1 to a function that accepts bool without a cast is a problem in and of itself. But it doesn't really surprise me that Walter doesn't agree on that point, since he's never agreed on that point, though I was hoping that this DIP was convincing enough, and its failure is certainly disappointing.

- Jonathan M Davis

The issue that I see is unintended implicit conversation when passing values to functions that have both int and bool overloads. If we have a way of indicating that implicit conversions are not allowed, when passing values to functions then the issues that the DIP brought up is resolved.

- Alex