On Thursday, 13 December 2018 at 09:40:45 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 December 2018 at 10:45:39 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
A few things that have annoyed me about writing D lately:

https://atilanevesoncode.wordpress.com/2018/12/11/what-d-got-wrong/

That was a really good blog post, however I am strongly against the following sentence:

"I think there’s a general consensus that @safe, pure and immutable should be default."

It's not at all a general consensus and doing this would literally break all the existing D code. Without discussing all the technical aspects, this will severely impact the adoption rate of D because it will make it very complicated for people coming from a C/C++/Java background to accommodate with the language. In addition, this is completely against D's liberal philosophy where you can program however you want.

My impression is that it's a consensus that it _should_, but it's not going to happen due to breaking existing code.

this will severely impact the adoption rate of D because it will make it very complicated for people coming from a C/C++/Java background to accommodate with the language

How? Rust has immutable and safe by default and it's doing fine.

this is completely against D's liberal philosophy where you can program however you want.

It would be if the change weren't accompanied by adding `impure` and some sort of mutable auto. @system already exists. It's a question of opting out (like with variable initialisation) instead of opting in.