From the feedback thread:

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 17:54:34 UTC, Dukc wrote:
`std.array.staticArray` can already handle most of the problems described, and it does work in betterC - I just tested with LDC 1.20.1 targeting WebAssembly. while there are remaining cases (`auto fun(int[$] = [1,2,3])` isn't easy to represent now), I suspect they are a bit too trivial to justify a new feature.

Type inference for parameters with a default argument could be made to work.

auto fun(auto a = [1,2,3].staticArray) {return a;}

On to refining the feature if it's accepted anyway. This should work:
```
int[$] bar(int[2] arr) // Error: not allowed in functions declarations
{
    return arr ~ [3, 4];
}
```
Why? because you can use `auto` as return type. `Type[$]` should IMO work anywhere `auto` does.

The inferred return type is int[], and causes an error if the return type is specified as int[4].

You need to mention that this DIP will break code in this, admittedly rare, case:
```
int[] x = something;
int y = something[0 .. staticArrFunc(cast(int[$])[1,2,3])];
```

Excellent point, but it isn't just casts, anywhere you use a type (template instantiation) that is within an indexing expression will have this problem.

I wonder if `$` should be allowed inside an expression, like this:
```
int[$+2] a = [1,2,3]; //static array of [1,2,3,0,0]
```

Not worth it, easy to workaround.