On Sunday, 18 April 2021 at 00:38:13 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
I heard about safety issues around allowing full I/O during compilation but then the following points kind of convinced me:

- If I am compiling a program, my goal is to execute that program anyway. What difference does it make whether the program's compilation is harmful vs. the program itself.

I dont buy this, you can execute the code in a sandbox.

Compilation should be idempotent, writing to disk/databases during compilation breaks this guarantee.

I would not use a language that does not ensure this.

- If we don't allow file I/O during compilation, then the build system has to take that responsibility and can do the potential harm then anyway.

The build system is much smaller, so easier to inspect.

  • Silicon Valley D Meetup - ... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Silicon Valley D ... Gavin Ray via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Silicon Valle... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Silicon V... Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Silic... FeepingCreature via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... FeepingCreature via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... sighoya via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... FeepingCreature via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... sighoya via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... FeepingCreature via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... sighoya via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... 12345swordy via Digitalmars-d-announce