On Friday, 16 July 2021 at 19:37:53 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 7/16/21 10:52 AM, Dylan Graham wrote:
On Friday, 16 July 2021 at 13:54:36 UTC, vit wrote:
What adventage has record over normal immutable/const class?

In terms of mutability, none.

The duplicate method, however, lets you copy and mutate (once at duplication) a record without impacting the integrity of the original. You can do this with an immutable class, but then you have to roll your own.

Really, it's more a convenience / less typing sort of feature, as it implements all the common boilerplate for you, which should help with consistency of code.

What about a UFCS `duplicate` method?

I'm not doubting there are good reasons to define types this way in C#, but D has pretty good tools when it comes to boilerplate.

I would possibly suggest that instead of a record template that accepts directives using inline lambdas, etc, just accept a model type and use udas to adjust the record type.

i.e.:

```d
struct RecModel {
   @get_set float y;
   @get int x;
   auto getDoubleOfX() { return x * 2; }
   ... // etc
}

alias MyRecord = record!RecModel;
```

I use this kind of thing to great success in my SQL database system.

-Steve

That is a good idea, and to be honest I haven't looked at it that way. So the record is a separate type from its model? Ie: `class MyRecord {}` based off `struct RecordModel {}`? Or did I misunderstand?

With regards to things like properties and methods, do you have RecModel inlined in the class and then forward the calls to it? Ie:

```D
struct RecModel {
    @get int x;
    auto doubleOfX() { return x; }
}

class Rec {
    private RecModel instance;

    @property auto x() { return instance.x; }
    auto doubleOfX() { return instance.doubleOfX; }
}
```

I do like the lambda directives as it, in my mind at least, enforces the idea that the record/class must be a simple data type (ie no crazy methods and such).

I do have to admit this was more an exercise in metaprogramming, and since I did manage to make something I figured I'd share it.