On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 15:17:35 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
To be honest, though, I can see where he's coming from. When writing DIP 1038, I made a conscious effort to avoid using the term "non-`@nodiscard`", due to the double negative. With a positively-phrased name like `@mustUse`, that problem disappears.

And while I am at it, let me commit heresy by proclaiming that this feature is so important that I think it should be the default and that programmers should instead specify that the result is "discardable".

That would of course be a terrible-terrible-terrible-breaking-change, and would never fly in the current political climate.

But in general: D would become more interesting as a language if we could muster the guts to be different.