On Wednesday, 6 July 2022 at 21:30:44 UTC, Dukc wrote:
And I think there is still pretty much value in handling UTF-16 strings because that's what many other languages use. With the current vision, Phobos V2 won't handle UTF16 in place. We'll have to convert it to UTF8 before manipulation, which is probably not optimal.

Oh, there is no doubt that handling UTF16 should be possible, but it can be done just as well, if not better, as a support library.

But it is very much undesirable to have more than a single string format for library authors to deal with.