On Sunday, 12 November 2023 at 19:50:02 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
Well. For the first time in all my years of using these forums, I've managed to post something that exceeds the byte limit. You'll find the September 2023 Monthly Meeting Summary at the following link:

https://gist.github.com/mdparker/f28c9ae64f096cd06db6b987318cc581

Two notes:

- Making the build bit of build.d simpler would be nice although reading the source code will reveal that it doesn't just build the compiler.

- I think Martin is wrong about not upstreaming stuff from LDC into DMD. Nothing good will come of them diverging (which they already have).

The UX of having multiple compilers is already terrible — conservatively let's estimate that "oh you need to download LDC if you want a compiler with an optimizer that works to a modern standard" halves the number of people bothering to try D.

Every little detail that you have to think about other than actually writing code hurts D both in terms of adoption and massive fragmentation of the projects people have to contribute to.

Standardising proper hooks such that LDC doesn't have to use a fork of the frontend (it's not really dmd-as-a-library in any sense that would be tolerated for a smaller project) is also important dogfooding for the frontend as a codebase.
  • DLF September... Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: DLF ... max haughton via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: DLF ... Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: ... RazvanN via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • ... Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: ... Tim via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • ... Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • ... RazvanN via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: DLF ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: ... FeepingCreature via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: DLF ... zjh via Digitalmars-d-announce