On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 17:57:36 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

That's not any better. If you have to opt-in to the language as it exists, people are going to quit immediately. I'm not joking about this. Imagine spending 2 hours trying to figure out why your app that is trying out some new feature doesn't compile, only to find out after posting online that it was looking at some ancient version of phobos.

You won't have to spend two hours figuring out. If you use a feature from a later edition, the compiler will give you an error and tell you what you need to do.

I think it's much more frustrating to pull down a new version of the compiler and find your current project breaks. You shouldn't have to change your code or adjust your build system to use a new version of the compiler. It should just work.