On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 08:18:20 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

## Editions

Átila took on the job of writing the proposal and we set November 1st as the deadline. We've since moved it to mid-December.

I'm going to refrain from chiming in on this any further for now. I know what our goals are. I know that we've discussed much of what has come up in this thread (e.g., command-line flags vs. module attribute). I don't yet know what the draft proposal will look like. I can't say anything definitively until I've seen it.

Our number one goal with editions is to avoid breaking code with new compiler releases. Old code, your project or your dependencies, should always compile, but still benefit from bug fixes in new compiler releases, ideally without any extra steps required from you.

Átila has looked into Rust's editions, the proposal for C++ epochs, and probably some other stuff. So he's taking inspiration from those along with the discussions we've had so far. When the draft is ready, we'll publish it for feedback.