On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 16:20:29 UTC, matheus. wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 14:52:32 UTC, Mike Shah wrote:
I really think D would be a wonderful first language. 🙂 Fast feedback, no need to manage memory, and easy to use built-in data structures would make for a nice intro course.

If you say that D would be a good language to learn in lieu C++/Rust I'd agree, but as a First Language neither one would be my choice.

Most here already program and know things, but as a first language forget, at least where and when I did college (Already knowing how to program), most people were lost with all the concepts of C++ for example.

Bitwise shifts like << >> and the same operators being used in cin/cout may be OK for most people already in programming and using shell, but for those learning was a hell.

Matheus.

I agree (and I've made my case from my DConf talk with some data) D is much more productive than C++ for students (especially in the scope of a quarter or semester long course).

I probably would recommend in the general case that someone who wants to try programming to start with Python or JavaScript -- purely because the start up cost is smaller, and the vast amount of packages let beginners do something interesting quickly.

That said, in a university curriculum (where students have multiple semesters), D could prove nice as an intro language as it has the ability to scale up in difficulty over time. I think D is friendly enough that it would not immediately turn away beginners from computer science programs (But ultimately Python probably wins for now in this category).

As a note, the 'which language is best for CS 1' debate has long been debated -- but at least in a school setting, I've found the quality/enthusiasm/encouragement of the teacher to be the most important aspect regardless of language choice.